Tuesday, June 23, 2009

tv. . . or the lack of it

We don't have a satellite or cable at our house. We have the old "rabbit ears" antenna that sits on our little 23" or so tv. Therefore, we've been without tv for a week or so now. Our two tv channels went digital with everyone else's, and we were left watching dvd reruns. It was fun to rewatch some of our old favorite movies, but there's only so many times a person can watch Indiana Jones, ya know?

Last night, I finally went to buy our digital converter box that the government has been peddling for eighteen months or so. (I'm still peeved that I had to buy it. . .) Now, we get three educational channels, ABC, and the CW. Kady and Kyler are thrilled at one of the educational channels, because it plays nothing but shows for kids. As Kyler said, "Cool! We get the Cartoon Network now!" I may be stunting my children's worldly knowledge, but that's not such a bad thing, right?

7 comments:

Berji's domain said...

excellent thing! (coming from me, whose tv's sole purpose is to play dvds & nary a kids dvd is to be found in the house) but I may be a little biased :)

Anonymous said...

I love love love this post. We have been slowly weaning our kids from the tv. Now if I could only get my parents to turn off Sponge Bob when the kids go to visit. We just got our "coupons" for the new box. I'll be glad when they are hooked up and we wave bye bye to cable.

Debbie said...

Nope. That is not a bad thing in the least. What is out there that they need to know about anyway!

Mozi Esme said...

Who needs TV when you've got the internet?! No reception where we're at - in fact, we haven't had reception anywhere we've lived in the past 13 years. And we're not paying for dish or cable. We've just become computer addicts - and my husband watches all his favorite shows on the internet.

Jenn said...

We don't have satellite anymore either, and we don't even have bunny ears of any kind. We have been borrowing lots of library DVDs, though, and RedBox has become a regular "family night out"... :0)

Wheelie said...

I was surprised how fast it's happened Stateside - here in the uk their kinda creeping in in bit by bit over a few years.

Here in the REAL Middle England, South Yorkshire :) I'm not going to see digital switch-over until 2012, but up in Scotland, it's already happened.

We have Sky satellite High Def, but if that goes wrong, our Tv picks up digital. Around here, most people think if you want Tv, HD cable's the way to go.

Not cheap though, HD.

The Football Wife -- Sara said...

I would kill for some Sesame Street right now... life without cable is rough somedays!